Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sprouting

My friend Kelley makes the most amazing sprout salad - and she grows her own bean sprouts.  For my "apartment warming" she brought me my own sprouting set up, and instructions and is teaching me how to do it!

She brought me4 types of dried beans, (garbanzo, mung, brown lentils, and adzuki) 4 small mason jars, a package of cheese cloth, and then instructions and her amazing dressing recipe.

I am (unnecessarily) intimidated by the timing of things - not all the beans need the same duration of soaking prior to sprouting, and the time to sprout also varies.  Of course the goal is to have them all ready at the same time so you can make the salad.  I suck at math.  LOL  (But you totally want me on your team for a spelling bee!)

I finally put them to soak this week -(and did I write down what time I did that and how long I left them, for future reference?  Of course not!) Sigh.

So now they are in jars, with airy cheese cloth lids, sprouting:

L-R: Lentils, adzuki, garbanzo, mung
I'm rinsing them 1-2 times a day to keep them fresh.  They "should" take 1-2 days to fully sprout into high protein goodness.

And then here is the salad dressing recipe she gave me:

Vitality Dressing

2 cup organic olive or canola oil
1/2 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos or tamari sauce
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp powdered ginger
2 tsp powdered cumin
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried dill weed
4 tsp prepared Dijon mustard
1/2 - 3/4 tsp hing (for garlic-onion taste)

Stir well or pour into blender and mix for one minute.

Seriously can't wait until they are ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback.