Thursday, August 22, 2013

Windows, Windows - What a PANE!

I know - clever, right?  HA

I'll tell you - I had no idea that windows would require so many decisions.  And so much research.  Holy smokes. 

But now?  Want to talk windows?  Let's talk windows.  I'm ready.

Jay Shafer used Marvin windows on his Gifford and when I toured his house I loved the look and feel of them.  I did my own research on windows - Andersen, Pella, Marvin - and for a variety of reasons (style, sizing, color) I decided to go with Marvin as well.  And some of my conversations were pretty hilarious - as in, "is the house going to be in a high elevation?" (discussing Argon gas or capillary tubes.)  "Maybe.  I hope so."  [long pause, computer clicks selecting capillary tubes.]  "Is the house going to be near salt water, on a coast line?"  "Oh I really hope so - maybe."  [Another long pause... more computer clicks for coastal coating.]  And finally... "This is quite an unusual project, isn't it?"  "Yes, my friend, yes it is..."  LOL

I met with a handful of window retailers, asked a billion questions, made a ton of notes, but when I got my window quote I still didn't understand a whole slew of the terminology on it! 

Now that I have (successfully, I believe!) navigated this path, I'm sharing with you what I've learned.  With quote in hand, going line by line, let's decipher the quote.  (I have casement and awning windows, but for this exercise I've just listed the casement.  Other than the style of the window, everything else is the same for both.)

Marvin's website is fantastic - so I've provided links so that you can read more if you want to.  (I predict you quickly reach your saturation limit for window data...)  They also have a ton of photographs for your viewing pleasure.

Get several quotes.  I got 6 quotes - three in California and three in Dallas, and I had a price swing of over $7,000.  Yes, you read that right - seven THOUSAND dollars.  One rep told me that Marvin (company) is stringent about territories - that they want you to buy from the retailer that is closest to your project.  Because my house is on wheels, I had some wiggle room there. 

Lead time for completion of the order is 3-5 weeks, depending on who you ask.  Bids generally do not include installation, so if you don't want to install them yourself, be sure and tell them that, so they can add that hefty fee onto the bottom line.  (I am installing mine myself. Unless you want to come and help me - in which case I'm installing mine with a friend.  I'll provide the hummus and wine.)

[Wineberry] Clad Exterior
The color of your exterior finish

[Bare Pine] Interior
The color of your interior finish

[Clad Ultimate Casement - Right Hand]     
Window type, and what side the crank is on

Note that the diagram of the window on your estimate is the view standing outside your house, looking at the window.

More info here:

(Doesn't she look so pleased??)
CN 20 x R.O. 41.5”        
CN is Call Number, which is for a standard window size.

R.O. is Rough Opening, which refers to the opening left in a frame wall to receive a window or a door unit. The jack studs on each side, which supports the header across the top, form it. Cripples support the rough sill at the bottom. The rough opening generally allows 1/2" or more in each dimension in excess of the window or door unit dimension. 

Rough Opening 21 x 41.5     
Rough Opening is the size of the window cut out in your wall

Frame Size 20 x 41
The size of the actual window frame     

IG - 3/4 in - 1 lite
IG is Insulated Glass
¾ inch is how thick the glass is
1 lite is - well honestly I've forgotten what that is... hey I can't remember everything!

Tempered LoE 366   
Glass type; Tempered – I went with tempered glass in hopes of reducing window cracking from rocks on road while traveling

LoĒ³-366 glass provides increased performance for high sun exposure locations.  This top-performance glass is formulated to reject solar heat while letting light in.  With LoĒ³-366, light and visibility are maximized, while up to 95% of the sun's damaging UV rays are blocked. 

Capillary Tube          
A majority of window manufacturers are located at elevations of 1,000 feet or less and use an inert gas, mostly argon, to improve energy efficiency (lower U-Values). Argon, in dual pane glass units, requires the units be sealed to preserve the gas.  This seal is accomplished by deleting the capillary tube found in air-filled glass units. Seal units are not able to equalize pressure so as the windows are shipped, the gas expands with the altitude gain and without the breather tube, bow outwards at the center. The higher the altitude gain, the greater the pressure – to the point that the seal between the panes can weaken and/or fail, or the glass can break. (I got this option in case I go through areas of high elevation when I travel.)
  
7/8" SDL - with spacer bar   
SDL:  Simulated Divided Lite: an energy efficient way to create the look of divided lites. 

SDLS bars are permanently adhered to both sides of the glass.  A spacer bar is installed between the glass, creating the essence of authentic divided lights.

[Cottage] - Special Cut 3W1H         
Cottage is the style of the small row of panes at the top. 
3W1H is 3 wide and 1 high, referring to the panes

[4] rectangular lites
This is the total number of panes in the window.

10" DLO Height       
DLO is daylight opening

More information here:

[Ogee] Glazing Profile          
Three interior glazing bead profiles are available to match your desired aesthetics – ogee, ovolo or square.

More info here:

 Standard Bottom rail    
 
[Black]  Weather Strip
Beige or black
           
[Bronze] Folding Handle
A variety of colors available
           
[Bronze] Multi-Point Lock

More info here:


[Aluminum] Screen
The screen frame.  (Wood or aluminum.)          

[Bronze] Surround
The color of the screen frame.
           
 [Charcoal Fiberglass] Mesh
Screen color    

More info here:

4 9/16” Jambs
One of a pair of vertical posts or pieces that together form the sides of a window frame

Nailing Fin
One of the methods of attaching the window.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback.