Saturday, October 12, 2013

Final Prep for the Roof!

I am sore today!  My back, and my calves.  I have gone up and down ladders a bunch of times this week!  But hey, at least I'm not totally missing my workouts... just using different muscles... lol

My new roofer, Clark Louver Company, Inc. came out on Thursday to look at my house and take measurements.

Randy, from Clark Louver Company, Inc.
Randy was awesome - after getting over the initial oddness of the project, he embraced it whole heartedly - going above and beyond by thinking about special travel considerations and how to make their roof even better suited for my situation.  He made adjustments in panel placement, in rain guards, in fastener lengths... and maybe additional items that I don't even know about.  I was so relieved to have him there - he was so professional that I immediately trusted him.  And he was funny - he kept referring to my house as an "unusual critter."  I'll own that... it isn't normal for sure.

When he told me they were putting my roof on the next day, I threw my arms around him and hugged him.  They roll their own metal, so getting the material was no problem.  Whooo whee!!

I did get some homework to do before his crew came the next day, however.  One, we needed to do the final finish on the plumbing vents.  All that involved was cutting the hole in the roof sheathing larger.  The hole as it existed was covered with tar paper for rain protection, and I didn't want to open it up until I knew the roof was coming.  That was a short task.

The other thing we needed to do was cut a few inches off of the roof tongue and groove.  As you look at the ends of the roof of the Gifford model, you see that the metal roof wraps down around the face of the house - see the red metal along the roof line?



On my house, the TNG extended past the edge of that wide vertical plank that makes the peak (what is that board called?  I don't know...) a few inches.  In order to wrap the metal around the front of the plank, it had to be cut back.  You can see the overhang in this photo:

John had to get creative with ladder placement and makeshift scaffolding, and I had to reinvent myself as a brave contortionist.  Often to get high enough to be above the roof, looking down on where I was cutting the ladder had to be so close to the roof line that I was then too close to safely operate the saw.  
 Before I could start cutting we had to peel back the tar paper to allow for the shoe of the saw to pass smoothly.  We pulled nails, peeled it back, and then peeled back the icky gooey black tar ice shield that was covering the ridge.  I don't know how many times I stuck my bare forearm in that goo... a lot.
The view from on the roof... the gray pieces along the ridge are the ice shield


The flap of tar paper on the right is covering an open plumbing vent in case it rains.
John pulling nails
We laid a 2x10" plank across the purlins over the front door to use as scaffolding of sorts.  Remember how I say to do one thing every day that scares me?  WELL.
There I am, standing on the scaffolding.  It is not very wide, and the purlin is jutting out right where I need to be.  I am looking down at the peak with the circular saw ready.  I cannot pull the trigger to start - the saw blade looks precariously close to my body.
I look down at John and say something like, "You know my 'do one thing every day that scares you'?"  I'm so many days ahead."

He looks at me.  "You're nervous?"

"Well yeah, I'm nervous, look at me!"

He stand looking at me, his hand shielding the sun so he can look up.  "You can do it."

I say, "Or you could start it, and then I could finish this side and get comfortable, and then I could do the other side of this peak."

We look at each other.  I dig deep and say, " Or I could just man up and do it."

John: "I could do it for you if you want, but you're not going to learn anything."

I knew he was right... dammit.

I started with the circular saw, but shortly changed to the jigsaw - mostly due to the weight of the saw and the angle of the roof - my arm was getting so tired!


Here's a view of when I first started cutting.






We moved the ladder a billion times.  To the front, to the side, to the other side.  I cut from the top down.  I cut from the bottom up.  Reaching where I needed to be was tricky.

I finished the front end of the house - jubliant - and then remembered I had the whole other end to do!  It went faster, though.  I had a method now and I was much more comfortable up there.


When we finished that, I hit the freshly cut ends of the boards with Penofin to stain and seal them.  That was probably overkill since they won't show, but I do like that the ends are sealed from moisture.

I was brave!  LOL  And my house was ready for the roof in the morning.

Next post:  The roofers are here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback.