Sunday, October 13, 2013

Second Window is In!

We took a chance  on getting a window installed today despite forecasts for 60% chance of rain.  We were sprinkled with rain once in a while, but nothing terrible.

Here is a list of what you'll need to install a Marvin window:
Saw (circular and jig)
Flashing
Caulk gun & Clear caulk for windows
Rag for wiping off extra caulk
Wood screws
Drill driver
Razor knife
Shims (in theory; we haven't used any yet)
Measuring tape
Level
Hand brush or broom

In my case, the windows were framed, but then the openings were covered up by 3/4" cedar plywood (my final exterior) for travel.  My first step was to cut out the window opening.  We had thought we would use a reciprocating saw, but Joel & Rudy from Omniview used a circular/Skil saw.  I ended up using a circular saw and a jigsaw.

The first thing we had to do was to mark our cutting lines on the outside wall.  We drilled a hole in each corner of the window framing from the inside of the house out.  A longer drill bit would have been helpful - I had to drill a little diagonally to get into the corner of the framing because the body of the drill didn't fit into the corner close enough.

Once I had a hole drilled in each corner, I drew lines connecting the drill holes using a straight edge.  Those would be my cut lines.

My next order of business was to learn how to do a plunge cut with a circular saw.  We set up a practice piece of plywood between two saw horses.  The challenge is to sink the blade in straight (not tilted) and to know where to stop for corners so you don't cut past the corner. John is a very patient teacher... and I need to do wrist strengthening exercises or something, because I had trouble sinking the blade in straight.

There is a YouTube video on how to make a plunge cut here.







I know - why didn't I go up another step on the ladder?  Because I was almost at the top and I didn't want to stop.

I thought the  vertical cuts would be the most difficult, but as it turned out the horizontal cuts were more difficult because it was harder to see the blade.

I did the bottom horizontal cut with the circular saw - challenging - I needed a third hand!  The top horizontal cut I used a jigsaw, because the circular saw wouldn't fit under the rafters.



I did a little clean up on the corners with the jigsaw, and one half of the window was open!  My mentor was on the other side...


Next we tried the window in the opening to see if it would fit.  The big awning window was tight on the top and bottom.  Would we have the same issue with this one?


Nope - it fit right in!  We took it back out and set it aside. Next we needed to add some flashing.  When we framed the windows at MAGIC Camp, the house wrap was on, but the exterior sheathing was not.  The flashing need to cover all of the layers - inside the framing, to outside the exterior sheathing.  When my house was moved from LA to Dallas there were supplies and lumber stacked inside.  We didn't want the windows cut out for the trip.  Anyway, here's what the window opening looked like after we cut out the window today:



See how the flashing doesn't go over the exterior sheathing?  And, when I cut the horizontal cut for the window opening, I cut the line, and ripped the flashing.  We looked at it, and saw that even the house wrap had been penetrated.  We started to cut out all the flashing...




But then decided that was just extra, unnecessary work, since the window fit with a bit of room to spare.  We decided to add an extra layer of flashing - we had room.


We did that on all four sides.


Next we set the window in place.  We leveled it (with the trailer, which is not sitting level) and squared it.  We screwed in one screw through the fin in the top left corner and the bottom right corner.  We checked again that it was still plumb.

Next was caulking.  We held back the fin along the top edge of the window and laid a heavy bead of caulk.  Then we laid the fin back down and pressed it against the siding, squishing the caulk around, and wiped of the excess.  Then we put in screws all along the fin.  I don't know why we didn't take photos of that, but I didn't.  If you scroll up to the photo earlier in the post when I was holding the window in place you can see the fins.  We did that process on all four sides of the window.

Then I brushed the sawdust and debris off of the sheathing to help the flashing adhere, and we put flashing over the fins (first the bottom, then the sides then the top - you want to overlap the layers like shingles) and it's ready for exterior trim! 


Looking out


And looking in
The rest of the windows "should" go faster, now that I know how to do plunge cuts, and we have done one.  Just one more like this though sure changes the look of the house.  Can you imagine EIGHT MORE??  



Here's the end of day photo today.  Nina taught me to always take an end of day photo.  Today is her birthday:  Happy Birthday Nina!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback.